Raising awareness to help save lives.
Prescription opioid painkiller abuse is a growing problem in Reno County and nationally. U.S. residents make up 5% of the world’s population, but Americans consume 75% of the world’s prescription drugs and 99% of the world’s hydrocodone. People who abuse these prescription painkillers are 40 times more likely to abuse heroin.
A group of citizens in Reno County are committed to helping prevent the abuse of prescription painkillers in Reno County. Through DOSE OF REALITY: Prevent Prescription Painkiller Abuse in Reno County. Partners from across the county are looking to help save lives by preventing prescription painkiller addiction.
The goals of the DOSE OF REALITY public information effort are to:
- Raise awareness of the prescription painkiller abuse crisis in Reno County, especially among those at highest risk of abuse – young people ages 12-25
- Clearly communicate the risks and dangers of improper use, storage, and disposal of prescription painkillers
- Get Reno County residents to take action by:
- Using prescriptions only as directed
- Storing prescription painkillers safely and securely
- Disposing unwanted and unused prescription painkillers properly and safely